Thursday, September 17, 2009

Entry #2


So I bet you're wondering why I have a picture of some knotted yarn and a crochet hook. Well, I finally figured out how to do a treble stitch. I feel like an idiot becuase it's really not that difficult and it was giving me a hard time for a while. I happily share this small triumph with you.


Has it really been two weeks since my last update? Wow, I kind of feel bad for not really having a lot to show. It's not so much that I haven't been drawing, it's just... well yeah, I haven't been drawing. Quiet frankly I've been goofing off and watching T.V., and not even shows I like. My sketchbook just has a few pages of scribbly-scrawly gesture drawings of people reading on the bus or talking on their phones. Thankfully, there's school (more specifically my painting class), without it I probably wouldn't have anything of interest to show for the past two weeks.


Monday I found a really awesome book on German expressionist sculpture. It is an exhibit catalog from LACMA entitled German Expressionist Sculpture actually. It's full of really cool stuff; then again German expressionist art rocks my boat so it might not be for everyone, but the subject is definitely worthy of investigation if you've got the time. Two pieces sort of birthed themselves from the experience (sorry for the poor image quality, I was using my cell phone camera.) The portrait on the right was based off of a sculpture by Cristoph Voll, Nude, Ecce Homo. This tiny little sketchbook doodle looks nothing like it and is a far cry from the evocative nature of the sculpture, but its still the coolest thing in my new sketchbook thus far. I kind of want to try painting this same subject again, but I really need to find a larger reference image. I had to make up a lot of information becuase I could barely make out what I was painting


And the piece on the left is loosly inspire by Erich Heckel nude, Bathing Woman with Towel. This is just a small portion of the painting, the rest is still a sort of pink and rust colored blur. I hope to finish this piece over the weekend. I figured once I get some space cleared up in my room I can set up my easel and get crackin' on it. Tomorrow I might try to head on to the goodwill and see if I can pcik up a cheap throw rug to use as a tarp so I don't mess up the floor.

I'm going to try and update more often, and definitely draw more. I'll see what I can do about getting some of my observational sketches up if anything.

Thanks to the four people who might read this!

No comments:

Post a Comment